Originally Posted by ultramarina
I'm sorry if this comes off as obnoxious--but why? I'm asking honestly, because I'm not sure. I wouldn't have an issue with my DD knowing this now....in fact, it may be in the sex ed/how babies are made book for kids she owns (It's Not The Stork, which I have looked at but don't remember that well anymore).

I had to really think about this because at first I wasn't really sure why not, just didn't like the idea of it. I guess it boils down to girls need to know about their own bodies so they are prepared when the changes start happening. However, at young ages, there really isn't a need to know basis for learning about the bodies and changes of the opposite sex. When it is being taught in a science based curriculum versus the classroom teaching reading some random state approved script to a bunch of giggling kids, it will be a lot more appealing to me.

While she hears some stuff on the playground and other places, she can tune out when she finds the conversation inappropriate which is what she chooses to do. However, when it is the teacher leading the discussion, it is a little more difficult to tune out what you don't want to hear. Call me old fashioned polarbear, but I don't think children in 5th grade should be having boy/girlfriends even if they are not grade skipped. Please don't take offense to this, just an old fashioned mama talking. :-)

A lot to consider as there is definitely some good information to be gained just some that I'm not so sure she is ready for. The reality is she is probably ready for a lot more than I give her credit for.