Well, that was a very anti-climatic meeting. After speaking with me in January, the asst Principal read the reports and did some research. Since K is not mandatory in our state and there are no early-entry policies for exception we are really stuck with one choice. Where should my son attend K since a skip to 1st is not an option (MUST be 5 by Sept 30th to attend K and MUST be 6 by September 30th to attend 1st. My son was 5 in December)?

While at the school we met the asst. principal, the K teachers and even the principal came to meet us. All were sympathetic but no one could help us even though they kept saying they are going to try their hardest to meet my son's needs. As much as I want public school to work I am already discouraged. My son also aced the K screening tool. He told the teacher he was very disappointment there was no math problems and even more disappointed that even in 1st grade there would be no multiplying or dividing.

I have very few options:
1. Having him attend half day public K and trying to find a private K to take him for the afternoon (There are several in the area that have had this arrangement in the past).
2. Have him continue another year at his current Montessori school where he is already well above the K kids who will be moving to first but the teachers are willing to individualize curriculum for him. Since he would continue with his current age mates I know he will have no intellectual peers and continue to be a loaner.
3. Find another private K at a daycare type place and hope for the best. Maybe we will find another "smart" child or a teacher who understands him.

I honestly love my job and don't really have any desire to homeschool. I also have two younger children that are currently in daycare so if I stay home with older DS5, I would also be home with DD3 and DS1. I envy the patience of moms who stay home with their kids. It's just not me.

Right now I know I am going to wait and see if anything comes of our DYS application before making a quick decision.

When I brought DS5 back to his school after the meeting today, his teacher current told me that she really hopes we have DS5 stay with her. She really adores teaching him but we have had our issues in the past few months where she tries to force my son to use the math manipulative--which really frustrates him. She has also admitted to me that she only has enough curriculum to go up to 3rd grade and I have a feeling she might run out by the time DS5 finishes his K year there--especially in math. We also missed the enrollment date but the teacher did assure us that if we decide to keep him there she will find him a spot.

I am so discouraged right now. I need a fat envelope to cheer me up. If I get the thin envelope this week it might just push me over an edge.

Last edited by crisc; 03/31/08 05:53 PM.

Crisc