Originally Posted by Jtooit
I agree!!! The above grade level testing can be tricky. My school acknowledged the ACT more than the other test. He scored above the average for our graduating seniors. It's a little hard to ignore that. It can be super tricky with a younger child and the lack of exposure to material. They are achievement test. They need some kind exposure to do well on them whether it be formal or informal. It's unlikely your going to guess how to do the pythagorean theorem without exposure.

I don't understand why even younger children who take the SAT or ACT should not do some preparation. The SAT Official Study Guide costs about $10, and it has sample tests in addition to a guide to the material tested. Why not review what's on the test and do at least one sample test? My 8yo has worked through the Math Study Guide of Richard Corn. I'll have him take a sample SAT at home. When/if he scores 700 on the sample math section in a few years, I will have him take SAT for real to qualify for the Study of Exceptional Talent.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell