Originally Posted by cricket3
Hi bzylzy- I just wanted to apologize for sounding so dismissive- my frustration showing through!

It's not dismissive! I certainly didn't get results for years! It's only since only the last 2 years that I've really had their ear. It's trying to be realistic about the nature of the school system.

I think outside testing helped us realize what we were dealing. My DH and I had decided this year if they didn't choose something radical for DS we would pull him from the school. Status Quo was not going to continue.

I only recently did WISC-IV with DS. I was so worried about doing it and didn't really want to know the results. Boy I'm glad I did it. The school hardly looked at the IQ. They love to say the Cogat is his IQ despite the 20 point difference in the scores crazy .

It was hugely helpful for me personally. I looked at DYS for 2 or 3 years wondering if DS really belong there. Was I also one of the wacko mom's over estimating DS? I questioned was he really EG/PG range? It's been a weight lifted off my shoulders to know exactly what I'm dealing with in DS. DH and I were neck deep in denial. We have no ND kids and no way to really see "normal." I'm a more confident and strong advocate form him being load with ammunition. I know now where he belongs and without doubting it! That is priceless for me. grin

Originally Posted by knute974
I've notice people discussing the EXPLORE and think it would be a good idea for next year. I don’t know if the school would pay attention but it would be a good, national gauge of where she is.

I agree!!! The above grade level testing can be tricky. My school acknowledged the ACT more than the other test. He scored above the average for our graduating seniors. It's a little hard to ignore that. It can be super tricky with a younger child and the lack of exposure to material. They are achievement test. They need some kind exposure to do well on them whether it be formal or informal. It's unlikely your going to guess how to do the pythagorean theorem without exposure. It still can be a nice measure for you as parents to have the testing done. It may mean the current schooling just isn't going to cut for your DD.

Additional outside testing maybe ignored by the schools whether IQ or Achievement. It potential very helpful to you as her parent. It allows you the needs more and make decision for her with or without the schools help.