Originally Posted by bzylzy
... One of the questions my DD hadn't put an answer down for. It came up in the conference. It was "what do you find challenging about math?"

DD looked at her teacher but didn't say anything. The teacher said, "(DD) told me that there is nothing challenging in math and she needs more challenge." Supported by stern look from teacher right at me (it's my fault apparantly)

So DD was on the hot seat and the teacher insisted she name something challenging. DD said, "okay, okay, the 9x table" I said, "but DD, when you first saw the 9x table you said, 'oh that's easy it's just 10x the number minus the number'" DD said, "oh yeah..." looked at her teacher, then said "but it's challenging"

Hi, bzylzy!
I agree this is disturbing, but in a way it's also hilarious (but still disturbing) that they're making her say something is challenging when it's not, and that she is 'playing along.' On the 'bright side,' at least she understands that she it can be necessary to lie in certain circumstances, which is a very difficult thing to teach our DD.

Also about it 'apparently being your fault' that your DD said something--we get this a lot--people seem to assume that our DD couldn't possibly have come up with a negative opinion about school or a teacher by herself, so it must be coming from us. Not so--we spent most of the year trying to convince DD that the teachers were trying to 'help her' until finally we gave up trying to convince her because it just wasn't plausible. Now we've switched to being honest and trying to teach her how to 'play along,' which if she at least learned that from this year would be *something* she learned at school.

I hope 4th grade goes better for your DD--good luck!