There is so much talk/concern about "21st century skills" but it seems to conflict with that traditional "boo-hoo math is hard" or "math is just for geeks" mentality. It's a very confusing message. I guess the children of the concerned parents will have to be accelerated outside of school, homeschooled, or some other take-the-bull-by-the-horns approach.

Even if you don't "major" in math it's such a good discipline for thinking, organizing thoughts...and it's so concrete, and old, and part of so many structures...a refreshing relief from the "subjective" subjects.

My DD's spring school conferences included the child and they have to prepare by answering scripted questions ahead of time, like what you feel you accomplished so far, what is challenging etc. One of the questions my DD hadn't put an answer down for. It came up in the conference. It was "what do you find challenging about math?"

DD looked at her teacher but didn't say anything. The teacher said, "(DD) told me that there is nothing challenging in math and she needs more challenge." Supported by stern look from teacher right at me (it's my fault apparantly)

So DD was on the hot seat and the teacher insisted she name something challenging. DD said, "okay, okay, the 9x table" I said, "but DD, when you first saw the 9x table you said, 'oh that's easy it's just 10x the number minus the number'" DD said, "oh yeah..." looked at her teacher, then said "but it's challenging"

Teacher moved on to the next topic for the conference
Anyway I'm making a note of everything and we'll have to have a conference about what 4th grade will bring and decide what we're going to do. It's getting too disturbing.

In the meantime this summer we'll do math enrichment. It's hard to do during the school year because of the battling philosophies, it's so confusing for DD.

Last edited by bzylzy; 04/16/12 05:45 AM.