I don't know your particular circumstances, so I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I finally gave up on trying to calm my kiddos and make them keep "regularly accepted" hours. I was a stay at home mom, though, so if they were tired, they just fell asleep early for morning nap.

What I did was set up some ground rules:

You must go to bed when you're told. This is not up for negotiation.

You must get completely ready for bed, crawl under the covers, get goodnight kisses and have a book read to you while you are laying in bed. (They especially liked that this was a rule, because they could make sure it was "enforced" on nights I wanted to skip the story.)

If you cannot sleep, you may play quietly with a toy in your bed, look at a book in your bed, or sing quietly (my kids did not share a room).

You may only come out of your room once to go to the bathroom. If you come out after that without being sick or unless there is an emergency (they often got quite creative about what constituted an emergency), you will lose a privilege tomorrow - and I get to pick what you lose.

Believe it or not, it worked for me. To me, there is nothing worse than the torture of laying in a dark room, mind racing, and not being able to do something to calm it all down. So by giving them boundaries that let them find ways to work through their creativity when they couldn't sleep but didn't stimulate - like getting up and playing - they learned to calm themselves. Some nights I would hear one of them singing at 11 pm, but eventually it would stop and they would sleep. Those are now very precious memories.

If you're on a schedule that requires the kiddos be on a schedule as well, then this tactic might still work - you just have to start the bedtime ritual soon enough that all the playing, getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, singing, etc. ends early enough that they get the sleep they need. Just be firm, don't waver on your boundaries, be consistent but not angry, and negotiate if something seems to be a real problem. If they feel like they've gained a tiny bit of control over their situation, it's amazing how much more willing they are to live within the negotiated boundaries.