Originally Posted by master of none
Heavens no. He is typing. We are not going to torture with handwriting practice!

I'm just going to work with him on constructing essays. He's good with factual stuff, but not the abstract like "do you think birds should be our national symbol, why or why not?" especially when you add a time element. (one teacher actually calls him a "gifted writer" but that's because it's spitting back what he has learned with a twist to match the essay question, and there's no time pressure)

The not talking is totally anxiety, which increases when the teacher says- you will be graded on participation. He's had therapy and people are impressed with how he expresses himself. So impressed that sometimes they forget that the goal is NOT to be his audience, but to teach him how to talk to others.

I'd like him to learn writing and participation in school and I'm frustrated that school is more punitive than instructive. Yet, it is likely they will try to do away with the 504 this year--they have been telling us that since the day we started at this school. "504s are reserved for kids who need them to learn", "your son is getting good grades and doesn't need anything special", "we don't have any extra computers for the kids to use". I guess I'm just weary right now, and I'd like to see if I can turn it more positive toward accommodations that will actually help.

I'm sorry I asked about the writing! I hope I didn't add to your frustration - I tend to not be able to remember who's child is doing what so I get confused... I totally understand your frustration, we've sooooo so been there with our ds' school experience!

First thing, the accommodation our ds has for timed fluency tests is that they have to be given orally.

Re accommodations for anxiety - our ds is an anxious kid, but his anxiety at school almost always flares around issues that come up due to not accommodating appropriately for his disability - so when there's an issue with anxiety at school we look at what's going on, what can be done to alleviate it, and then make a suggestion for an accommodation based on that. For anxiety in general, I'd look through the list of suggestions above, or look at your state's special ed resource website if there is one, ours has a state policy handbook which lists typical IEP accommodations for different types of disabilities, and that's been a good resource for us because when we ask for something that's listed in that book (and word it the same way it's listed) we get it - the school staff is familiar with it and won't object.

Re doing away with the 504, if the school suggests this I'd put down everything they say in writing, and email it back to them - letting them know this is your understanding of what was said, and stating your concerns, maybe restating some of what is in the actual law.

Gotta run, I hope some of that helps!

polarbear