Originally Posted by master of none
Yet, it is likely they will try to do away with the 504 this year--they have been telling us that since the day we started at this school. "504s are reserved for kids who need them to learn", "your son is getting good grades and doesn't need anything special", "we don't have any extra computers for the kids to use".

I know that you are tired but I would fight this tooth and nail. It doesn't sound like your school understands that 504 plans protect the disabled student's civil right to equal access to the educational process. It is not a special ed law. Does your district have a parent 504 guide? Here is the eligibility criteria from our district:

"[A] student is eligible for Section 504 protection when it is determined that he/she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities, and the impairment is impacting access and student benefit from school programs and services."

I assume that yours would be similar since they have to comply with the same federal law. From what you've described, your son needs his existing accommodations implemented and maybe a bit more in order to learn. He needs a keyboard to write, he needs extra time, etc. Are they going to make him go back to what you call "the torture" of handwriting? I would challenge them if they try to take his 504 away.

Our district also has a 504 compliance officer who will go to bat with the schools if they are not implementing plans as written. You might want to check if there is a similar person in your district.