Originally Posted by bzylzy
My DH and I have joked sometimes that if we knew ahead of time how many school staff members were going to be at some of these meetings, we would have rounded up random people to equal the numbers...paid random strangers to sit across the table with their hands folded and not say anything, but be a body on "our side".

LOL. I am sure we won't have so many people in the meeting.

Thank you all. Yesterday I talked to the teacher about my concern of being ds in the meeting. She said it will not be stressful, just have him sit and listen. I will take him there then try again to request to have him out.

Our public school has more than half of students are GATE students. Because of that, plus no sufficient funding, we don't have special classes for GATE students. Teachers need to figure out by themselves how to do the differentiation. Most of time we don't feel any difference except some BONUS work. Most GATE students are fine, I think only less than 10% of students need more than just BONUS work. Many teachers I know, includes the principle, think they know gifted children well enough. Most of the parents think their children are doing fine without GATE program. I know their feeling because my dd is doing very good in school. Curriculum is easy but not boring. For ds, and few other same or higher ability kids, they don't get enough challenge. I learned not to say this to teachers and other parents. They will say, "we've got many GATE students here. Why do you need to worry he is not getting enough challenge?" Many parents think all gifted children should be treated equally. I don't want to jeopardize the relationship with other parents. I feel happy and safe to talk about this here.

Trinanina, 3rd grade teacher tried to give him next grade math last year. Ds was not comfortable to have different work in the class. He didn't have the behavioral issue last year though and that teacher was very supportive.

It's only two months left to the end of this school year, actually I am not worry about ds's teacher. Teaching ds strategies to handle his anger is the first thing I want to do. I also want to talk to the principle what kind of teacher will have a better match. I am just not sure to bring out this issue during the meeting is appropriate. Or I should set up a private meeting with the principle.