Willa:
What you describe is classic vestibular dysfunction. He may have dysfunction with semi-circular canals (SIPT assesses ONLY for this - the canals process rotational vestibular info: spinning) But he also sounds like he has a severe otolithic dysfunction. The otoliths in the inner ear are responsible for processing gravity and linear movement - vertical or horizontal. This type of processing impairment prevents one from knowing where you are in space. I understand completely where his terror came from. People with otolithic dysfunction are uncomfortable in any plane - they cannot even move forward through space (ie: walking) without fear and discomfort. With a problem as significant as Mite's the OT should have started much much slower than on a swing. Movement needs to start on the ground and slowly work up until he is comfortable on the swing.

SI based intervention, done correctly, NEVER creates anxiety or distress for the child. Mite had no business being in that hammock swing. Do you feel that the therapist really understood what was going on for him? Do you feel that the therapy helped any? If not, it was not done correctly. I hope that the therapist took him out of that swing immediately.

At 8 he is just inside the window for the SIPT (for kids up to 8yrs 11 months) but an experienced OT could still use it to assess a child like Mite after that age - since him impairment seems so significant. I just wouldn't do it much after about 9 yrs 6 months. The standardized part is compromised after 8y 11m but the test is still applicable. The SIPT would give you a clear idea of what areas are most affected and, I think, provide a framework for intervention to help with the IEP and accomodations. Teachers listen to the standardized numbers.

You can look for an SI certified OT here:
www.wpspublish.com
follow the links through continuing education or courses, you'll find info on courses for Sensory Integration and then a link for finding therapists in your area. Just start calling and see if you can locate a good one. Just like any profession, you'll find SI certified OTs of differing qualities - some will be great while others are certified but can't interpret the assessment well or generalize the knowledge well. So look for one who does the SIPT often and treats primarily from an SI perspective.

I'm guessing that he has severe somatosensory dyspraxia. And OT from a SI framework can help. When it is done correctly.

Therapeutic Listening MUST be done under the guidance of a trained therapist. You can't just borrow someone else's equipment/CDs and do it at home. There is another program out there called The Listening Program. It needs a therapist supervision also. Please don't try to do it on your own. Check the website for someone near you who is trained. I am fairly confident from what you have written that Mite would respond to this - but please look for a provider.

Last edited by dajohnson60; 11/15/06 01:49 PM.