Thank you everyone for your input.

To be clear, the idea that his project was in the top 15% of the ones at the school fair was based on the science fair's judging criteria and thoroughly reading all the projects, not just based on how the boards looked or even what the projects were. I wasn't there for the interviews though obviously. If it had even been a close issue, I wouldn't have pushed it, but it honestly wasn't even close. It wasn't an, "Oh, you have a decent chance" type thing, it was more of an "It will rain frogs from the sky in December in Northern Canada if you don't go on" type thing. Anything less than that and I would have just let it slide. I hate confrontation and I believe is learning through failure. Trust me, I didn't do this because I wanted him to win anything. It's K-3, there isn't anything to win except maybe a ribbon and Wolf has tons of those.

Also it wasn't just some of the committee's kids, to my knowledge is was every single one that went on. Yes, it is possible that they all earned their spots with merit, but that was not the feel that I got from the situation (or viewing the projects) or the woman's reaction at all. I also got the very distinct feel from talking to some people at the school after the fair that they did not feel that Wolf had done the project mostly on his own (which he did). I don't think they have ever dealt with a kid like him before and I'm afraid him being himself and doing his personal best might have ... colored the results some.

After reading all your responses I think I probably should talk to Wolf about how the woman reacted at the fair. He does know that he went to the county fair representing his program and not the school, he just doesn't know the details of it. I think that not clarifying the details is probably still the best idea though. He gets anxious about adult "issues" and I don't feel he's emotionally ready to handle that judging isn't always fair. He'd good at dealing with disappointment, but is still a very black and white, right and wrong thinker when it comes to the concept of "fair." He's happy he got to go, happy he won an award, and he enjoyed the whole process. Adding more negativity onto it at this point might dim that and I want to avoid that. As it is, the whole thing has sort of turned me off urging him to participate next year even though we won't be going through the school.

We entered it to do the project, to learn, to have fun, NOT to have a lesson in human misbehavior.

Last edited by Wyldkat; 03/13/12 01:52 PM.