Originally Posted by JonA
There are a number of top 25-50 schools in our area accessible by public transportation (since he's too young to drive) that would probably be academically OK as a day student. The problem is that I sort of feel as though we would be depriving our son of the experience of a really top school by forcing him to be a commuter as a lesser school than he would be able to attend as a regular 18 year old.

Hi Jon,
May I ask you to clarify something please? It sounds like you are saying that there are many accessible top 25-50 schools in your area. But, then in your later posts it sounds like you were saying the schools accessible to him weren't very good. Top 25-50 schools are very good so that didn't really make sense. Do you have good schools he could commute to?

I agree with the other person who said that admissions to an Ivy is to not predictable at traditional age. While your son may fit with the academic profile, so do most of the 90% of students who are rejected. There really are no guarantees.

Wanting your son to have a traditional experience is certainly a consideration. Is that what he wants? If that is a priority for all involved it may make sense to look at slowing down his rate of progress through high school and then possibly following up with boarding school or a combination of dual enrollment and homeschooling in order to try to stretch out the time.