Originally Posted by CFK
What I would not do is hold my son back from starting college just so that he can apply to a more elite school (that he may or may not get into since it's a crapshoot for everyone who applies at those selectivity levels) in order to get a specific kind of "college experience". A student that is ready to start college at 14 or younger is going to be miserable waiting for several years just to pass time until he is chronologically old enough to fit into societal norms.
Very wise words. Things have changed so much since 'we' were students. The competition is very strong in their preparation, but that is a different thing than 'Level of Giftedness.' It may be that the only time your DS would actually enjoy being a college student would be age 14,15 or 16. You'll know better as it gets closer.

In the mean time look into those summer camp experiences - a great way to 'simulate' that experience of being normal. My son describes CTY this way: "I teaches you all the things that regular kids learn and experience in High School about getting along with other kids and doing traditions and making memories." Does that help me smile as I write the check? You bet.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com