Welcome Cory. I'll second what everyone else has said - you've received great advice. There are two things I'd add, just food for thought.

The first is, when you first find out your child has an LD it's easy to feel very rushed to solve everything overnight and at once - if you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, take a deep breath and take a step off the roller coaster of emotions for just one minute or so. It's a long journey. Many of us along the way find that after we've raced to get early remediation and accommodations in place, we find other things we need to try, other ways to help our children, etc. We often feel like we just can't do everything we need to do or that there isn't one clear path to follow. I am not saying this to scare you or discourage you, but to help you know that simply by seeking info, testing, etc - you are doing *exactly* what your child needs. It's not going to be an easy road and you're not going to solve everything overnight, but you're going to get your child to where he needs to be - even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Second thought, and this is a bit sticky - our ds12 was also diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type when he was first diagnosed with his LD. In his case, it was *not* an accurate diagnosis. If you haven't seen signs of it yourself, and have your gut questioning is it really ADHD, I'd do a bit more thinking through and research before medicating. BUT that's just me. There are symptoms and behaviors that are common across syndromes and it's not always easy to tease out what's really up when our children are young and we're first learning about their challenges. In my ds' case, his behavioral surveys from school and teacher's opinions indicated ADHD but ADHD was what they were familiar with. His neuropsychologist saw slight potential difficulties with focusing in her testing, and he clearly has some executive functioning challenges in organization. After we'd made accommodations for his actual disabilities and those had been in place along with remediation for a few years, it was much clearer that he did not have ADHD, but instead the behaviors that had seemed to indicate ADHD were due to a combination of symptoms of his other diagnoses combined with behaviors caused by being stuck in school and unable to complete the tasks he was required to do due to his undiagnosed LD.

Please know that I 100% agree with the others - if he has ADHD, you'll want to do your best to treat it (however you think is appropriate, meds or no meds).

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - eta, re the low achievement testing scores - it can be so surprising to see how low they may be, but try to remember they are giving you specific information about how your child is functioning. They also might not be so clear as they appear. It really helps to look at how each individual test is administered - was there an oral prompt or did your child have to read the question? Was the answer given verbally or did your child have to write out the answer? For kids with LDs, when you divide up the tests by prompt and response type, patterns emerge that are there because of the impact of the LD, not because your child is really at that achievement level. Just a for instance, my ds has severe dysgraphia. He scores very low on math fluency tests where he has to use handwriting. This doesn't mean he doesn't know his math facts, it just means he can't write them down quickly.