Originally Posted by jolene77
His argument for was- if we are going to be working on the Reading Issues- the ability to fully concentrate will be essential. If he is not giving his full attention, then those efforts will not be as successful.
Insight greatly wanted What he says sound right- but just need a sanity check!
....But just the over view- he has this time ,and any other time, tested into the mildly gifted range.
However there is a huge separation between ability and achievement. His lowest ability category was in the 89% and his highest achievement category was in the 25%
ADHD-I kids are often quiet and patient (LOL - they are out to lunch!) so NOT the sort of kid that draws complaints from teachers!
You say the ADHD-I hasn't affected your child in any way. But I say that the low achievement category maybe a big waving red flag that the ADHD-I is causing real harm in the present. The achievement discrepancy could be 100% from the Dyslexia, but that odds of that being true seem small. If you are really looking for evidence that the ADHD-I is an actual problem that needs adressing, the dyslexia itself and the achievement gap seem, to me, to be evidence enough.

My guess is that you child 'talks' a good game, so that you and the teachers feel that your son is 'smart' and 'ok' even though reading is a problem. It's hard to be all upset when a child can be such a good conversationalist, at times. The reason I'm concerned is that life doesn't wait for a kid to be having a good day. Learning needs to be happening every day, all day long. And for dreamy kids, all day long is very long indeed!

Not that it's a bowl of cherries trying to find the right medication for your particular child. I call it the medication merry-go-round and it's a total pain in the behind. But I can say that your doctor's advice sounds totally reasonable, and your arguments seems....well....a little besides the main point.

I think for medication that a better way to think about it is that once some kids have the experience of what it feels like to be able to concentrate, using the medications, then they might no longer need the medication, because they learn alternative ways to turn their brains to that particular state, and to maintain that state. I don't think that medication alone is a good idea, but in this situation, my guess is that all the 'extra attention' is going to go towards kicking the Dyslexia. How much concentrating on remediation can a kid and a family do at one time?

I'm also wondering about the IQ results, do post them when they arrive. Try and get a GAI, which for your child might be much much higher than the Full Scale moderately gifted number.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com