It has been awhile since I have been on this forum but have been searching through everything the last few days.

My DS(10 yrs old 4th grader) just got officially Dx (by a private psychologist) as having a Reading Disability, having issues with executive function and being ADHD.

My first question is- the psychologist says he his dyslexic when trying to describe things to me, but they list it as "reading disability". Can anyone explain why. We live in NoVa (northern Virginia) and I am pretty sure the schools do not currently recognize dyslexia- is this why? And why wouldn't they? So is it just pretty much word play- but means they same thing?
I want to make sure that I am researching the right things when considering treatment and tutoring.

And for the ADHD- we were expecting the reading issues- that was the whole reason we took him in for testing this time. But the ADHD (inattentive) was somewhat of a surprise. Yes, he could be the poster child for the symptoms and characteristics listed, but since this is the 1st time anyone has mentioned it- it, was very shocking to hear. I am not against medication- but only if it seems necessary for a positive outcome.So hoping for any 'been there and done that' parents to share their perspectives please. My argument against was that even though this seems right on- no one has ever mentioned the possibility, therefor is it actually a problem that needs to be medicated? Is it really affecting his day to day activities? His argument for was- if we are going to be working on the Reading Issues- the ability to fully concentrate will be essential. If he is not giving his full attention, then those efforts will not be as successful.
Insight greatly wanted What he says sound right- but just need a sanity check!

My last question- anyone know what are all the methods of teaching to reading disorders. I have found two so far. I am currently reading the gift of Dyslexia. He sounds like his method rocks- but I want to make sure I do not limit myself to the first thing I stumble across. Also what can we expect the school to offer help wise? The psychologist warned us that many times if not done properly- the help can actually hurt and make things worse or at least more frustrating for the child. And that some schools do not provide the "right help."

We get the official written report in 2-3 weeks, so can not tell all the test and scores at this time. But this was a long drawn out testing and observation evaluation over the last 2 months so I feel that it was very through. I think the hours DS put in was around 14!! But just the over view- he has this time ,and any other time, tested into the mildly gifted range.
However there is a huge separation between ability and achievement. His lowest ability category was in the 89% and his highest achievement category was in the 25% (these are not the same cat- so imagine the actual separation for the ones that range in the higher 90's%). It is heartbreaking to know his potential and see how he is actually doing.

Thanks
Cory

FYI- we will be talking to the school (he is already on an IEP for speech), DS's ped and our insurance to determine the best course of action. Plus keeping some regular visits with the psychologist for help following his progress. We have to wait for the official report though, so just fishing for info from others to help out with what to expect and what we need to fight for.

Last edited by jolene77; 03/08/12 04:51 AM.