Monetfan- sorry if I got so upset but I live in the great football state of Texas too so I understand the prolific red shirting for sports! I guess I have given up on expecting the school to provide any serious acceleration academics for my son- because I really believe a public school's only job is require a basic education- those parents on this board that are able to get more out fo them are lucky. My school does the best they can- the rest is up to me. When my child in the beginning of 3rd grades tests in the 87th percentile of 10th graders for Science knowledge- there is nothing that school can do- and he is not ready to attend high school or middle school- it would be the worst thing i could do for him. The principal just looked at me shocked in his 504(for PANDAS) when I talked about how can you manage the academic needs when she looked at his scores. We go to an exemplary school too.

My son is a good athlete and I get pressure all the time- why isn't he playing sports any more you know "Johnny" really wants him to play.( I also never let him play footall- even before he got sick). My head wants to spin around and say don't you remember he has that autoimmune issue and we lived through hell and it just has not worked and his health is too important??? Instead I say- he's just going to be a different kid- he'd rather have his nose in a book( I leave out it is a high school biology book). Parents probably think I push him academically because we do an outside math class(common in our school district- especially for the Asian and Indian children) and by the books he reads- but it has nothing to do with pushing it's finding the way to challenge him and his interests- granted I do push him some because as smart as he is- he would play video games or turn into a slug in front of the TV if I let him. If I let him just do the class work he would be in a world of trouble every day since he needs more than his typical school work.
Regarding the 15% it does not sound off to me- there are so many preemies these days that survive when in the past they would not have and normally their academic development needs to be counted from when they should of been born not when they were born- many of them need to be redshirted too.
In a class of 20- 15% would mean 3 kids need to be redshirted- that really does not seem off to me. My daughter was 1 of those kids, the preemie twins add the other 2- there is your 15%.
I wish you luck if grade acceleration is what you want and WOW! If your child can socially handle!!!!