My birthday is at the end of October. Back in the day, I started school early- you made the cutoff, so you started. I was always the youngest and shortest kid in the class. I was socially immature- probably average for my age, but compared to my classmates, not as mature.
Academically, it was no problem but it wasn't until college and medical school that I caught up socially.
My son has an October birthday too. When his preschool suggested we wait a year, we did. He's small for his age, so it's not like he will be a star football player in high school. It made alot of sense for us to do that. If he had an August birthday, we wouldn't have done that.
I think if he were a grade ahead now, academically it would be fine but socially it would be harder. I also think for boys that the physical part is very important- if you are the shortest, slowest boy at running, it really can affect your self-esteem.
He is more mature than some of the kids, his handwriting is excellent, etc. I think it is for him b/c we waited. I think it can make a huge difference for alot of kids to wait.
Supposedly a fair number of Chinese immigrants in our area lie about their kids' ages (if they are babies) when they come over, to give them that advantage.
I can see it makes a huge difference in our elite swim team. Kids who are bigger get better coaching and get into the harder workouts, which feeds into them getting even better, etc. It really is exactly as Malcolm Gladwell outlines in his book, Outliers. I suspect it is also true for redshirting and academics.

Last edited by jack'smom; 03/04/12 09:59 PM.