Urg, my post just got eaten!

The general jist of what I was saying was that my dd11, who is 2e, sounds a lot like what you've mentioned. She reads above grade level, gets 100% on spelling tests, but doesn't like to read and her spelling tests don't translate to her spelling in writing. I've seen her spell the same word three different ways on one page.

Her spelling isn't quite as bad as what you mention (more in line w/ what ultramarina mentioned) and it has improved some as she's gotten older, but I do recall seeing a lot of the substituting in different words with similar letters when she was younger when she was reading as well.

I've wondered, too, about dyslexia although my dd does have good phonetical awareness apparently. For instance, she was advanced on the DIBELS (phenome) test in elementary, very high on decoding parts of the WIAT, and 4th quartile on the whole GORT except for reading speed, which was in the 1st quartile. I've been unsure if this rules out dyslexia or not. It can be hard to tell in gifted kids.

Mine has an ADD dx and is probably HG as well. She has numerous parts of the WISC in which she was in the 99th-99.9th as well as entire subtests of the WISC in that range which makes it that much harder b/c she compensates so well that it is hard to figure what exactly is wrong. Your dd may be more gifted than she is getting credit for as well.

I'd agree with the others that what you are seeing is not typical nor fine just b/c she reads above grade level. FWIW, mine is keeping up okay in middle school, but it is more work for her than it ought to be. She misses a lot of points due to overlooking parts of the directions, failing to turn things in, punctuation, spelling, etc.

eta: I'd also say that my dd's strengths are in creativity and math (she's subject accelerating in math and is more consistent on math group achievement tests than she is reading or writing tests), but she's taken the WISC-IV twice and got very high verbal index scores too (99.7 and 99, respectively) and both times even those scores were depressed by the scaled scores ranging from something like 12 (75th percentile) to 19 (99.9th). I think that whatever she has going on keeps her from fully expressing how able she is in the verbal realm. Even with two different psychs, we've not totally been able to sort it out, though. ADD and anxiety are all we've got at this point and one of them felt that there was no problem despite a lot of wildly erratic school test and IQ scores.

Last edited by Cricket2; 03/02/12 11:36 AM.