Lori,
It is great your daughter weathered being an outsider for a year and came out happily dating millionaires. I don't know that I would assume that your son's experience will be the same. From your posts it sounds like your son has some particular challenges that she does not including: scoliosis, migraines, physical disabilities that will not go away when the scoliosis brace comes off, challenges with skills like handwriting that impact on his ability to access appropriate educational experiences, being less accepted by some family due to his interests, intense fears of medical procedures, chronic pain, having experienced the death of people he's close to, and being an "outsider" for a lot longer than a year. That is a very, very long list and a small fraction of that would be justification to pursue therapy.

I wouldn't expect therapy to be like a magic wand eliminating all problems in his life. I would expect it to be a place he could safely process some of what is happening to him and learn anxiety relieving strategies that may help him move from a place of feeling like he "can't stand to go on like this for so long." There is quite a bit of research suggesting a improvements in patients with chronic pain who get cognitive behavioral therapy.

I really hope you will get him some help.