I don't have many people IRL who would appreciate what this means, so thought I would post here.

For the first time since toddlerhood, DS8 wore pants with a zipper and button to school yesterday! I was so happy! smile Between his SPD and fine motor delays he has always refused to wear anything that wasn't elastic waist. I had been accommodating it for so long, I forgot to even mention it to the OT until about a month ago. Well, she incorporated into the therapy sessions and now he's doing it! It makes me so happy for him as well as solves the challenges of trying to find elastic waist pants for a kid his age that aren't sweats/windpants.

Since starting OT in August he has learned to ride a bike, tie his shoes, and now zip/button pants. I am one proud mama! smile

I also have a question for those of you who have dealt with SPD, especially sensory seekers. DS is begging me for a cat. He previously asked for a dog, but that just isn't a good fit for our family/home right now. A cat would be easier. We have a cat now, but she is 18 and not that cuddly with the kids. I know that part of his desire for a pet is related to his sensory needs. He really craves physical/tactile contact and it occurs to me that a pet might help with this (instead of his little brother who is not that keen on the personal space invasion!). I realize now that this might be partly why at the children's zoo he would literal spend as long as I would let him brushing the goats. I wonder now if a tolerant pet might be helpful for him at home.

Has anyone had any experiences with a sensory seeker and pets?