Originally Posted by ggoebel
I have to remind myself how important it is to keep everything in perspective. If DD is happy and learning, then you're in a good place. Even though it might feel like it, you don't have to do everything at once.

Ggoebel, I completely agree with what you said above. This is why I feel DD5 is in a good place this year. She is happy, she is learning.

I also agree with what you wrote about free time and a low-pressure schedule. We try to maintain that with all three of our kids. Our "rule of thumb" is that they have no more than 2 extra-curricular activities at a time. Our oldest DD (almost 12) is the most scheduled because she's in a dance company; currently she has over 7 hours/week of dance committments, which by mid-December will be reduced to approx 4 hrs/wk after she finishes two theater productions in which she's involved. DS7 has a gymnastics class once a week. DS5 has a dance class once a week, and does Girl Scouts which is at least two events/month.

Anything more than that and I start feeling we're too overscheduled. I like us to have plenty of "family time," to read together, play games, watch movies, cook/bake together, play outside, do art projects, even do chores together. And I like the three kids to have plenty of time to play together. It's nice that, despite the age range between them, they still manage to come up with some pretty fun and imaginative stuff. Also, we all love to read and I like them to have a lot of time for pleasure reading.