Trinity, your advice is great (as always) and gives me much to think about, so thank you.

Here's the catch about doing a grade skip or homeschooling or going to a private school: DD *loves* this class, this teacher. For switching schools 3 weeks into the year, she has adjusted beautifully. She has established some wonderful friendships within her own classroom and socially seems absolutely in her element. She is in Girl Scouts (Brownies) with most of the girls in her class, and the other first grade classes, and loves that too. (After the first Brownie meeting she said, "This is the best day of my life! I have waited my whole life for this!")

She tells me constantly how much she loves this teacher and wishes she could have this teacher forever. At recess she will play with kids her own age and with older kids. She gets along well with everyone. Socially she seems very comfortable and happy and confident. She does not complain about school at all, and really wants to be there.

We've talked about it and she does not want to be homeschooled, for social reasons. She wants to be with other kids. Sometimes she talks about the private school she attended last year for K, and says she misses some people there, but is clear that she does not want to go there this year because she loves her new school.

The teacher said she did not have to do "reading groups" with the rest of the class, but could work independently. However, after a week of that, DD said she wanted to be in a reading group. I assume purely for the social reasons.

Oops, time to go pick her up from school. I will have to write more later.