Originally Posted by Agent99
Have you had him screened for a learning type? Perhaps he's an auditory learner rather than a visual learner.

Agent99 - we haven't had him specifically screened for a learning type, but he's severely 2e and has been through just about every type of eval you can imagine (and some more than once lol!). I honestly don't know if he's more auditory or visual. He's a builder and he thinks in pictures and movies. He doesn't particularly like to read to learn - he'd rather be read to, and he fits much of the Eide's description of a stealth dyslexic. OTOH, when he finds a novel he is really into, he appears to enjoy reading tremendously smile For the 1-2 hours it takes to consume the entire book, then he goes back to non-reading for days.

When he reads, he remembers every detail but has a difficult time summarizing information. Book reports are like the bane of his existence.

One of his classes that takes what seems like an unusually long time for homework this year is science. It's also his most boring class (according to him), the discussion is at a low pace, some of the kids in his class aren't very sciency and a lot of time is spent discussing things that he'd figured out watching Nova in preschool.. and his book is not terribly in depth. When he reads a book he's interested in (science type book) he can remember every detail and quote it back to us at completely random times months/years after he's read it and follow up with deep thought about the topic. Yet for his science class this year, studying two physical science subjects which he loves, when he has worksheet packets with simple questions to fill out it seems to take forever for him to get an answer written down, and he seems to look back at the book much more than I'd think he would need to. OTOH, maybe he's so bored he hasn't actually read the book until it's time to do the assignment...

Thanks for giving me something to think about!

polarbear