Originally Posted by DeeDee
Polar, how are you treating the dysgraphia? It seems like written product is such a major issue-- can he bypass any of that by dictating, or is it still slow that way?

DeeDee, I scribe for him occasionally, and that is much much faster - not just because I'm doing the typing, but because he just seems more alert and able to think quickly when he isn't have to type in between thinking. The challenge of course is that he can't always have access to a scribe, and our goal is to have him be working independently.

He's tried DNS in the past and from the first time he tried it insisted that was his first choice for AT - but he ran into time issues trying to train it on his own at home which bogged him down. There have been a few upgrades since the last time he tried it, and we've had it on our list of "things to do" since last summer, but we run out of time to do things! I think that we need to make a priority of getting a tutor to help him set up Dragon and give it another try.

We had an AT eval for him a few years ago and I remember then that the OT doing the eval advised us that dysgraphia really isn't the issue as much as dyspraxia and typing wasn't going to be the amazing solution for him that it is with most dysgraphic kids.

Thanks so much for your insight!

polarbear