My son has almost the same exact score profile. Other than PS and WM, where my son is about fiftieth percentile on both, but the GAI comes out to the same as your son.

I am wondering how or why this school psych diagnosed him with ADHD just from this hour or two she spent with him? I was under the impression that ADHD is based on observations from parents and teachers.

As far as the discrepancy between the scores, that is common now in the WISC IV for gifted kids. The way I understand it, the way they weight the subsections can cause big differences for gifted kids, but not for normal IQ kids. That's why they had to come up with the GAI to assess core ability.

The second grade teacher suggesting retaining him is bananas, I'm glad to hear you said No to that. Oy.

Anyway, I think we have the same child lol and I will share where I am with this whole thing. Barring homeschooling [or a very special school that doesn't exist for us], school is what it is. All I can do is advocate for him, but the reality is he is going to have to learn to speed it up a bit, stay on task, all of that. The good part is that we still have some years of maturity ahead of us before high school and I have already seen many behaviors fall into place since, let's say first grade, which was a nightmare.

From the teacher's point of view, they have a job to do, which is teach twenty plus kids a whole list of things. I am learning to have sympathy for them and acknowledging to myself that my kid totally annoys the heck out of them. Lucky for him and them, he is bright enough that he still gets all of his tests almost perfect, even though he is barely paying attention most days.

Diagnoses I have looked into and had evals for are ADD-inattentive, dyspraxia, sluggish cognitive tempo. But none of these quite fit.

Let's see what else, I've read up on that Edison trait theory, the dreamer theory, the problem with boys in school. Also introversion. Which is all interesting to read, but nothing has really clicked as far as solutions.

I've come to conclusion my son is just having a great old time in his brain imagining things and the nonstop worksheets that he can figure out in one minute just aren't doing it for him. I've also come to the conclusion that the curriculum is boring and repetitive. Other bright kids might just play along more, but he is not.

Our psych who did our testing put it a great way. One day something will catch this kid's fancy and he will be off to the races. For now, with our current situation barring a switch to homeschooling, he needs to learn to be able to sit through class, do what they say, and plod along. But that needs to be balanced also so we don't totally crush his spirit, and that is where we come in as parents. I've looked into weekend and summer programs, so I'm going to do some enrichment there for now.

Anyway, I hope you get some answers soon and do come and share what you find out. Good luck, you're not alone : )