Originally Posted by dmack
For instance: when the psychologist tested him she had him read a list of words as part of the test. Halfway through he stopped and said to her: How do you think we got language? I mean who created this symbol (pointing to a letter) and called it an "a" (or whatever it was) and then this symbol (pointing to a different letter) and called it a "b". And then how did they put these symbols together to form the word that represents something we know. And then there are different symbols in Spanish and Chinese that mean the same things as us but in different ways. How did this all begin and how did they pass it on? Meanwhile the psychologist is saying: please just read the words. haha
This sounds a lot like my gifted 2e child. She's off on tangents a lot. She had significantly lower WMI and PSI scores than VCI and PRI, though, and I understand that the WMI is often impacted by ADD although I wouldn't say that his not being super low indicates that it isn't ADD.

Speaking with special education teacher friends they have never seen such a huge discrepancy between the Verbal Comprehension/Perceptual Reasoning and the Processing Speed as my son's WISC showed.
I have wink ! My oldest had a 94 (42nd percentile) PSI score @ 7 and VCI at the 99th percentile. My youngest had a 142 (99.7th percentile) VCI and around the 50th percentile for PSI and WMI. FWIW, my oldest is not 2e but my youngest is. The difference is that my oldest had high scores in all indeces except PSI and she had somewhat wonky scores due to anxiety at the time even within her higher scoring indeces; she refused to complete some tests and got really low scores and others that topped out the test.

I'd say that knowing it to be 2e is more of an art than a science. Someone might look @ my older dd's profile from 7 and say 2e, but knowing the kid and seeing her performance over time, she isn't 2e so much as she was a stressed kid coming off of a really hard school year when she was tested. My 2e one looks totally different. Inconsistent performance is a hallmark of ADD. Mine is definitely highly inconsistent to say the least.

His GAI certainly should have been calculated with the discrepency btwn his scores, too. You can do it yourself using this chart if you have the scaled scores. My rough guess would be that it would come out around 126 which is the 96th percentile. That may not mean much more to his school but it may be enough to qualify him for GT services b/c it surpasses the 95th percentile mark that many schools use.