The skipping k didn't seem to make as many waves as sending our dd to a charter gifted school. But when I was checking to see if there were any equally good options closer to home I made the mistake of asking a friend about one... I forgot the stink between us last year over the skip. If I have to hear one more time about the kid in her son's kindergarten class who is a "good reader" ... HEY, that ship sailed. Good for him. He isn't my responsibility.

Of course that isn't what I said... I've started taking the same approach to dealing with people on school stuff as I do most conversations with my mother in law. I just come across as though I agree generically with whatever she's saying and then go about doing things as I planned. I'm the least likely person to avoid confrontation - frankly as a debater I usually enjoy it. but it isn't worth it.

But the PHONICS thing. What's up with that? I heard that from a parent at the gifted school that her kid would be made to go back and do the whole k year over because our school didn't do phonics with her. Honestly do I need to be concerned. DD6 is in 1st, skipped k, and today is reading another American Girl Mystery book (amazon lists as 5th grade level, i think 4th). so if she was never taught phonics will this hurt her?

If we do early entry for dd4 into K in the fall - I think all hell will break loose. I think because people could see what dd#1 was reading in pre-school they didn't say much. but with #2 it isn't as obvious... dd#1 birthday was dec, dd#2 birthday is in jan - so we are talking about a REALLY big early entry... which I've driven you crazy asking about. I'm still not sure. It looks likely the public school will accept her... but I'm not sure if she should go now or skip k all together. but that's not the topic here :-)