While we're on the topic of feeling defensive about our educational choices, I have to admit that sometimes I feel defensive about DS having skipped to first grade.

Here's an example:

When DS was still in K, I was chatting with another mom who was going on about how far ahead her daughter was in K and how bored she was and how the curriculum was watered down. DS' grade skip was in the works, but not finalized and I hadn't mentioned it to anyone there, but I asked her if she had ever considered having her daughter skip a grade. She gave me a shocked look and said, "No! I would never do that to her!" I asked her what she meant by that and she said it would be "social suicide" to skip a grade.

I have also had professional educators tell me that my son would be in trouble by 3rd grade because he will have "missed phonics".

Now I have already thought about social issues and possible gaps in DS' education and I think that in his case it will not be a problem but still, when people confront me with these things, I feel like I have to go over it all again in my head and make sure I've made the best choice. It's hard to have people questioning your decision all the time!

Cathy