Originally Posted by Nautigal
I don't agree with the teacher's comment that it's inconsistent to say that her voice is soft and yet be bothered by clicking noises. To my way of thinking, the clicking noises could be so overwhelmingly distracting that she can't hear anything else! I have moments on occasion (thank goodness not all the time) when there is a "minor" noise that is so irritating to me that I can't escape from it. Also, once in a while there is something odd with my eardrums or something where paper rustling noises get all blown out of proportion in my hearing and it feels like they are banging inside my ears. I don't know if it's just an acoustic thing with a piece of earwax or what -- this happened for an extended time many years ago when I was considering applying for a job with the post office, and I never went because I couldn't stand the idea of all that mail rustling around in my head.

And there is also the fact that, despite having no hearing problems, I frequently have to watch people's lips moving in order to actually think about what they are saying; somehow the words just don't register unless I see them. DS9 has some of that as well. It may be an AS thing, I'm not sure. It's not that I can't hear the words, just that sometimes they don't get into my consciousness.

My 8 yo dd has a similar issue with noise. She can't stand the noise in a regular classroom and comes home with headaches after school. She also struggles with the slightest background noises in the classroom and when the teacher lectures to the class as a whole my dd has a hard time understanding so the teacher will explain it one on one with her and then she comprehends. I think when the teacher is speaking to the whole class it's harder for my dd to focus on what the teacher is saying. She also will take a lot of things I say literally but I can't tell if she's doing it to be a smart aleck or if she really means it.