DS6 read the first Harry Potter book after I bought it for him, but didn't really love it, so I didn't get the next one. I thumbed through one of the later books at a later date, and formed a generally low opinion of the writing. DS6, DW and I all liked the first movies, but not the last several so much, as we felt the image and animation richness and quality went up while the quality of the plots went down. There was a deal recently for all the HP movies on Blu Ray for $40+ shipped, which we skipped. FWIW we also found the Percy Jackson movie a bit silly, so we won't be buying those books, although I certainly won't keep him from them if he checks them out from the library.

These things are of course highly individual, and based in large part on emotional maturity. DS6 reads about and watches way bloodier and emotionally challenging stuff than Harry Potter all the time. He's full up on books for a while (currently going through some Stanislaw Lem and assorted other stuff), but for Christmas we did buy him "WW II in HD" and "The Universe" on blu ray. I know in advance that the bloodthirsty kid won't bat an eye at any part of the former, but that he may spend some sleepless nights worrying about the heat death of the universe.

OP, my view on reading level is along the lines of the following quote. I don't care a whit about tested reading levels, or what an educator feels is the right readiness or challenge level for my children; I think the whole idea of keeping things from children above their perceived academic comfort level is hogwash, and can be harmful to a highly gifted child. DS6 has shown the tendency to develop his own reading skill to handle whatever he's interested in at the time, and I don't ever hold him back on the basis of perceived reading level. You might consider making reading a more active process for your daughter by asking her to narrate to you what she's just read, ask her to define any new vocabulary from context, etc.

"Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him." - Maya Angelou

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick