A few thoughts from my own story that may be helpful... or not.

We pulled my DS out of school halfway through his K year because he was being so disruptive. We didn't know what was going on. The IQ tester told us that he didn't know what to do -but he did know what not to do: 'do not leave him in that classroom' was the only hard and fast advice he could give us. DS IQ is 'only' 145 - although he hit the ceiling on several subtests.

We did homeschool for a few months to decompress and we found his personality changing for the better. Last year, we found a private school that worked. (We skipped first grade). It involved half day in second grade and half in fourth. The split in his time was horrible for him and by the end of the year, we were on edge - but he still held together well.

This year, we have a wonderful third grade teacher who is handling him in the regular classroom with some enrichment and the chance to read in class when he gets too bored. He still gets bored and likes to wander the classroom. (Not sure why she is letting him do that!)

However, last year, there were concerns about ADHD. We had a pediatric neuropsychologist test him and we found that (a) no ADHD but (b) poor impulse control, poor self esteem, poor motor skills, poor organizational skills.

Those last things were adding up to him not 'acting' like a 'normal' gifted kid. We are trying to address those things now.

My recommendation - Yes, your son needs more mental stimulation. You need more information to work with the school or to even consider a different school. Find the money somewhere and get a fresh evaluation by someone who knows and understands gifted kids. The school thinks maybe Aspergers- get it ruled out. They think he is challenged - get achievement tests that show what grade he should really be in. etc.

There is no substitute for information.

I also recommend 'helping your gifted child soar' (or something like that) - which explains how often gifted kids differ from the stereotype of gifted kids. I also like Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children because the first chapter has a really great detailed description of some of the common behaviors and characteristics of gifted kids.

Mary

Mary