Hi Karen,
I'm sorry to hear that your little sweetie is having/making trouble but i'm so thankful he's not quietly being overlooked in his misery!

Will EPGY be inclass or at home or both? Your dime or the school's dime?

What are your alternatives? Is homeschooling an alternative? I know he's extraverted, but with the SI and the subchallenge, can you "take your ball and go home?" Sometimes it's easier than negotiating with a school.

Is private school a possibility? They you can do your negotiating upfront before you sign on the bottom line? (Do as I say, not as I do - LOL)

Can you just sit go to the school, tell the Principal that you want him to have a trial placement, say 6 weeks in 8th grade (ask for twice as much as you want) and tell him/her that you don't agree that he should work on his behavir first - would they deny braille to a visually impaired kid with bad behavior? My IRL girlfriend says - schedual the meeting for the end of the day, and let them know that you can sit there for as long as it takes them to say yes.

At this point you can approach the Middle School directly or the District. Those district people can be mean, so wear your flameproof suit. I can tell you that with an IQ of 150, you child can skip one or two grades and still do very well academically. If he does poorly it's as likely underchallenge as overchallenge. Socially it is a gamble anyway, but with the early indications you are getting now, your son's goose is cooked socially in his current setting.

There is always community college - they teach high school math and at a nice pace, Stamford has a whole online high school starting up. You can homeschool or use private school for a single year to get the placement right, then return to the public school at a reasonable guestimation of his appropriate grade level. Skim through Hoagiesgifted.com for ideas.

See also what are the rules on "just refusing to send him back to school until the school agrees to a better fit placement" - you don't want social services on your doorstep, but depending on the state, it's been know to work.

State everything in writing. Request everything in writing. Hire a suit to represent you. Take a weeks vacation from school to regroup. Most importantly -

ask your child what they think would be good, and then ask why.

good luck. I am cheering you on!
Trinity

Does your state have a "online charter school" system? then they pay for curricula and your son sets the pace - again perhaps as a temporary stop gap measure.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com