Originally Posted by ColinsMum
I think the key point to be aware of is that even when there are statistically robust differences between male and female brains (and many of the best known ones are mythical) the intra-sex variation is in (practically? I know no exceptions) every case greater than the inter-sex variation, which makes the finding of very limited usefulness when it comes to dealing with individuals.

Hi ColinsMum, thanks for reposting the link � I had seen it smile

The book I was referring to isn�t a popular science book, it�s an introductory neuroscience textbook. Ultimately it supports what you�re saying � that intra sex variation is greater than inter sex variation. However, while the authors� do reference the Shaywitz study on laterality mentioned in the articles you linked to, it also refers to a number of studies and literature reviews as its basis for the claim that it seems that there does seem to be at least preliminary evidence of sex differences in laterality, including a review of 266 different studies on laterality effects in males and females. Ultimately the authors� conclusion was that while there was not conclusive evidence that differences exist, �the frequency as well as the consistency of reports of sex differences in cerebral organization, however, lead us to accept their reality at least as a working hypothesis. The strength of the case, in our opinion, rests on the diversity of methodologies (clinical studies, behavioural research, neuroimgaging) that point to the same conclusion: females are less lateralised than males�. They go on to say �This consistency in the direction of asymmetries that are reported suggest that there are true sex differences that are small in magnitude and easily masked by individual variability or other factors that may not be controlled�. However the book is over 10 years old and perhaps the later studies referred to in the Springer articles put paid to those referred to in to the book.

In terms of buying in to myths, I don�t believe for a second that women are less capable than men in maths and science, I absolutely agree that social rather than biological causes have been a work in holding women back in these domains in the past. I don�t at all believe that woman are less intelligent than men. However, what is apparent to me from the small amount of reading I have done on the topic is just how little we know about the brain at all. My main point, which I suspect I mangled the delivery of, is that it does seems to me that if there is a possibility that there are differences in the way men and women�s brains work then ignoring or denying that is counterproductive to ensuring women have access the best opportunities in life. Difference isn�t a bad thing in and of itself, it is only a problem if it�s used to further someone�s ideological agenda.

Last edited by Giftodd; 12/14/11 08:39 PM. Reason: Fixing failed emoticon (the resulting combination of symbols made it look like I was swearing - hope no one took offense!)

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke