Funny I never thought about single-sex education as being related to differences in male and female brain function. I see it as a way to counteract societal stereotypes. I'm not saying I'm a fan of single sex ed but can understand why some people might make this choice. I went to an all female high school and a co-ed university, the biggest difference I observed was how the sexes were treated by certain faculty.

In high school, we only had girls so girls could/had to do everything. We were socialized to take on leadership positions, play sports, receive academic awards, etc. No one treated our gender as a barrier.

As a computer science undergrad at an Ivy, I felt that gender did play a role with some faculty. I took a lot of math and some upper level engineering courses related to digital electronics. In the engineering classes in particular, I noticed female students were not called on by the all-male faculty. In group assignments, females weren't given the "hard engineering" roles but were assigned by one professor as "facilitators" or the "systems" person. During a group review, I remember the professor being shocked when I found a software error for a group of male students. Granted, this was about 25 years ago now. At the time, my female engineering-major friends said that this happened all of the time.