Originally Posted by ultramarina
Saying differences are found "every year" is deceptive, since these differences have shrunk enormously. There has been a VAST change in girls' average and high-end scores in the last 50 years. How do you explain this? How do you explain the large variability between countries WRT girls' performance?

As I think I have said elsewhere, there MAY be some slight innate biological differences in male and female performance, but we are certainly not in a place yet to know what they are--it's clear that culture is still acting upon these results.

My inexpert opinion is that both positions here are right, based on my limited understanding of the malleability of the human brain. I would expect that differences of brain composition (grey vs white matter) would exist historically, because historically we didn't expect/allow women to think. And I would expect those differences to disappear in modern times, because our attitudes about women and thinking have radically changed... so if the brain is as malleable as research suggests, that composition should also change. And because that attitude shift is not yet fully complete, I would expect that stark differences in brain matter can still be noted in certain groups.

I don't see a conflict in the data from either side.