First of all, I think the NAGC is trying to broaden its appeal by promoting talent development for all instead of supporting gifted students in particular. I have nothing against talent development per se, but I see that as a radical change in the NAGC's mission, and I'm afraid that in promoting this achievement focus, gifted kids (especially 2e kids) will fall through the cracks unless they are high achievers.

I don't think the achievement focus is healthy... I don't think the goal of gifted education should be "eminence". In this new paradigm, the goals are focused on the "talents" not the kids who manifest them. How many gifted kids will become eminent? A small percentage. If we make that the goal, that will mean that most of them will have failed to meet that goal. Instead of trying to support gifted kids as whole people, NAGC wants to focus on them as "high-potential" learners. Those who don't produce up to that "potential" will not be considered gifted. The achievement focus places an unfair burden of expectations on gifted kids--which I think they struggle under enough already!