LOL!

Our Mr W got the same comments from his pediatrician when he was barely 3 months old. Around the 2 year mark she made a point to have a long discussion with us about him and what our plans were.

Mr W did not say a lot until he was 2 and a half. His longest sentence was "What is a mercedes?" when he was 11 months old. But he could say very complex words and would say them aloud the first time he heard them. Now at 3y9m, we have long, complex discussions with him and he will argue and negotiate if he does not get what he wants!!

When you put your child in with kids her age, you will see the difference. Go to a daycare and ask to visit the toddler room or even the 2-3 year old room. You will have to go up to the PreK or K room to see anything that she would be doing.

Those "normal" milestones that you find everywhere really are true.

Its easy to get used to Mr W's uniqueness by observing him with others. We have finally found some accommodation on this. The next brick to hit YOU will be when your child is formally assessed on a standardized test and the psych who tests kids like your says she has never seen someone like your child.

Another brick now coming is that Mr W can do some complex visual puzzles, ie the Set Game, faster than I can. At some point your kid will surpass you in some areas.

I'd get Ruf's book and I also liked this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Gifted-Kids-Everything-Exceptional/dp/0814473423

She quotes parents who say you should just take all the regular baby and kids books and throw them away.

DW and I have an agreement that we will take things one month at a time with him. And the last few months I've just focused on listening to him and enjoying every day.