Hmmm... Thought provoking.

The following paragraph contains a general "you", responding to several posters in this thread not just one, and intended to be addressed at everyone including me

Suppose we were talking about some other characteristic than giftedness - red hair, or ADHD, or being very tall, or what you will - and a doctor, without having enquired about whether you used hair dye or self-medicated with caffeine or had suffered from childhood malnutrition, made an off-the-cuff comment such as "so, s/he didn't get it from you" or "sometimes it skips a generation". I hypothesise that, although it's conceivable that you might notice the doctor had made an incorrect leap of logic, you probably wouldn't go so far as to describe the comment as tactless, let alone be personally offended by it.

I remember, in other threads, many posters (I don't remember who) insisting that they really believed statements like "gifted isn't better, just different". I don't think that position is consistent with being offended when a doctor assumes, on too little evidence, that one isn't gifted oneself.

(And since I've been tempted by such comfortable statements myself, but I think I would be offended, I address this at myself as much as at anyone.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail