Hi ,

we have a 6 years old son , he is in 1st grade . Back when he was in kindergarten he was tested and his reading skill is in 3rd grade level .

Now that he is in 1st grade , he's been acting out a lot in classroom , and 2 weeks after school started , we got called to school , and was told by the teacher and the principal that our son is a gifted child . He was tested again for his reading skill , which now is at 5th grade level , he wasn't tested for anything else as far as i know . The school said that his behaviour might be due to the boredom . He would interrupt , he would complains the assignments are too easy , he would blurts out answer when it's not his turn , all the adhd signs .

Today we took him to the doctor and doctor said he's not adhd child , because the symptoms only appear in school , to have adhd it has to be happening everywhere , not only in school . The doctor agrees that he is a gifted boy .

He started reading very early , and just not too long ago he just figured out multiplication himself , he knows how to do 3 digits addition , and 3 digits subtraction , he reads at 5th grade level so he's reading chapter books . He would ask me questions such as how do we put the money in the credit card so that we buy things with that ? He would ask me why do we have to use water for baptism and then ended up with asking , Jesus wasn't a sinner and why did he have to be baptised ? Then one time he drew earth when the classroom was told to draw / write something that is considered a blessing .

He told me that he is bored in the class , and often times he wants to keep going when given the assignment and that he's done with it , but his teacher would not let him do that , he would have to get his fish ( rewards system ) taken away if he keeps going on his own , he has to wait . He said he wonders when things are going to be harder and more challenging for him .

His doctor suggested that he should skip grade , so far the school isn't doing too much of anything , but taking him out for an advanced math 3 times a week for 45 minutes , but the rest of the hours at school , he had to follow the 1st grade curriculum .

What would you do if you're in my shoes ? His doctor said i might want to try to have him skips the grade and going to 2nd grade , try it out for a month or so , see how he does . But i don't want to offend the principal or even the teacher .
What should i do ? Since august my son's been acting out almost everyday at school , even though all the grades he brings home is A+'s . I just don't want people think he's a trouble maker , because he's not , but he gets in trouble when he's bored .