Originally Posted by AmyEJ
Or should I forget the whole thing and accept that she'll be fine in the regular classroom. I'm just not sure I can accept "fine." Is it wrong for me to want more than that even if she's happy right now? Sometimes I think I'm worrying about a problem that isn't there yet. I just feel like it's coming.

Hi AmyEJ,
Welcome! I'm so excited that you found us!

Ramble some more and see if you can verbalize the 'feel it coming' thing.

Is K a full day or a half day?

I totally encourage you to take this up a level, on your own if hiring a lawyer is too expensive or confusing. What do you have to lose? Nothing!

Teachers make all the difference at this age - so that means you are one 'bad' teacher away from disaster - I'd be worried about that. Plus you live in a district where the GT coordinator hasn't heard of the WPPSI, I'd be worried about that too!

If your daughter has issues with anxiety, since age 3, and perfectionism, then you have to be extra careful ((While trying to look relaxed, of course, the whole time, BTW does anxiety run in the family?))

The key to getting rid of the perfectionism is to allow her to work at her readiness level on a daily basis. I love the idea of child-led learning, but if she isn't getting it at school, I also want you to start 'expecting and demanding' that she work at her readiness level afterschool on a daily basis. If you can't do it reliably, hire a tutor, or a high school kid to come over. Going to school to enjoy friends is fine - AS LONG AS the child is 'learning how to learn' and learning that streaching herself is 'just what people do.' Particularly if you are already seeing Perfectionism.

Grinity's definition of Perfectionism in Gifted Kids: "Oh my, this work is weirdly easy, why do they give me this baby stuff, it must be because they think I'm stupid. I'll show them I'm not stupid, and do it perfectly. But what if I really am Stupid?"

You are her mom. YOu are worried. Either you are a person who worries excessivly, or you have something real, but hard to define, to worry about, OR BOTH!

I'm not suggesting that you only allow her to learn what you want her to learn, but that you introduce the idea that even for 5 minutes, 5 days a week, you will be giving that supported push, in one of her areas of strength. It did make sense for you to back off back then, but now is now.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com