Originally Posted by LisaK
Yesterday, DH had a meeting with her teacher. He asked her to move DD up in math and LA. She flat out said no. She said he could talk to the principal and if principal agreed then she would move her reluctantly. Strike 3.

In this meeting she also told DH that we should have DD evaluated for ADD/ADHD because she doesn't complete her assignments in class. Lisa
I think moving your daughter NOW is certianly fine, and you should definitely start the search. (Be sure to believe nothing you hear, and observe potential classroom and classroom teachers - the teacher makes such a big difference!)

On the other hand, the teacher has handed your DH an opening. It is worth trying, if only to buy you sometime so that you don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Certianly try and get an appointment with the Principle right away, and explain the situtaion and have DH repeat his request. I wouldn't be at all fazed by the teacher posturing that she'll be reluctant - she probably is either venting or posturing so that if things don't work out she won't be blamed. (Manuvering to avoid blame and placing blame is a major pre-occupation with many adults, it's normal behavior. Not attractive, but not pathological either. It's how many human beings live day to day.)

I've heard of plenty of situations where once the child is correctly placed, the teacher starts to enjoy the child, the child enjoys school, and everyone signs with relief. It can be positive, and my guess is that you've already committed to paying for the full year of school, so at the very least DH should visit the Principle and ask for 'pre-emptive' placement, or negotiate for a tuition refund and get out of there.

Now that your DD is 6, she can get a WISC IV IQ test, which might show a fuller picture of what's up with her. The main thing that you'd like to see is that she is in fact with kids who share the same 'ready to learn' level that she does. It wouldn't be suprising in a private school or an 'above average' pubilic school that there would be at least a few others in her classroom with a similar readiness level. With a teacher who is willing to pull those few together and give work that matches that readiness, then you could expect (or at least hope)the fit to work out just fine.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com