Ok I feel a bit weird asking about this here, as I am not 100% sure it's relevant to anyone else on the board, but I am really not sure where else to seek support because I do think that our issues are to do with the rather complex inner workings of my gifted toddlers thought process.

Since last I posted we dug out the potty and have had it around the house various places. DD clearly knows what it is for and has instantly transferred her toilet anxiety to the potty too. She's also clearly demonstrated that she does know when she needs to wee and does have the control to hold on. We are back to having trouble getting into the bath because she doesn't want to wee or poo in the bath. Or she gets in and then gets straight back out. She does NOT want to get a nappy on and will have a raging tantrum if you try that. She is scared of the potty and toilet and we have had some reasonable success in teaching her that she can't wee on the carpet. So she's now locked herself in the toilet room and used the floor there. Which is gross and obviously not a long term solution. Oh and I have also realised why it is that she gets so distressed about changing a poo-ey nappy, she really has issues with the whole thing. I feel rather slow that it's taken me this long to realise it wasn't about being uncomfortable or about not enjoying being changed but about the poo itself and wanting to pretend it wasn't there....

I am really at a loss for how to teach her that we don't play with the toilet or potty (or nappies), but that everybody does need to go to the toilet and that is ok and that toilets/potties are good to use for their intended purpose and only for that... And that we then wash our hands.

She's so obviously ready but also so obviously very anxious and confused.