DS8 is in the first year of this dual program - the guinea pig class.

THe school personnel that I've spoken to saying that a math sa is not possible: principal, dual coordinator, g&t teacher, psychologist and his teachers. The principal also said the math coordinator said no.

Finally they let me in on the decision making process. grade 3 & 4 are on different schedules, so if he goes to 4, he'll miss something else in 3 and still have to sit through 3math.

I will need everyone here to help once I have his WISC & W/J scores - my guess is he'll show mild giftedness all around and math... maybe a little higher.

He's doing mostly grade 4 math, some grade 5, but lots of holes b/c I only partial HS and go with the enthusiasm. For example, he multiplies into the thousands, knows some division, nothing he can't add/subtract, add/sub fractions, can make fractions into common denominators for comparitive purposes - great spacial abilities, good with word problems.... and on & on.

Anyway, the testing I assume will help me better understand his learning needs for me to further advocate and pinpoint what he needs.

We somewhat feel that our hands are tied. I think having the bilingual component will serve a greater purpose in the long run - as long as we can keep his math enthusiasm sparked and his needs addressed. Which I think we can (with or w/o the school's help), then in grade 6, he will actually be able to move and take higher level maths.

I recall them saying the computer program wasn't an option in the class but that the teacher would address differentiation. I am holding their feet to the fire to figure out exactly what this means (and offering my help as this is a situation they'll need to work out for future dual classes, like DD7's next year!)

I am hoping that the G&T morning math seminar, the 1x/week math pull out, one morning a week HS and possibly an after school mathy club might be helpful to him.

DS8 isn't HG or PG so I teeter with knowing how much pushing forward is best and how much just letting him be is best.

My concerns are that he is a square peg being stuffed into a round hole in school - he does 2 things as once & gets in trouble b/c they think he's goofing off/not paying attention.

These "behavior" issues are beginning to chip away at his love for school... well, have totall chipped away at it.

Let me end my tirade on a short story. At dual camp this summer he got to meet his new spanish teacher. He took the stairs 2 at a time, as he did all through 2nd grade, and she said he'd have to stay in for 5 min. during the next recess to take them one at a time. He was totally confused, took it totally personally. Even said, trying to understand the discrepancy "I am so 'BAD' at school, but pretty 'GOOD' at home?"

So, in a math class, or any class where he's engaged & enthusiastic, perhaps he'd STAY that way??!!