Hi Laura,

I agree with Nautigal that you may want to continue to challenge them on this, if you feel like it is worth the effort (i.e. how unhappy is your child with current math, will they actually differentiate, etc). Was the decision maker in this case the math coordinator for the district (or the GT coordinator, or ?).

It sounds as though a false choice was set up -- bilingual but no appropriate math vs. single language with appropriate math. But there are many ways to make it bilingual with appropriate math (including online math, for example, as Nautigal pointed out). And even if this was truly the choice, there is not one "right" answer, some families would prioritize the dual language, and some the math.

A few questions, and forgive me if this is in another post of yours, I have been mostly away from the board for the last 4 weeks.

1. Are you pretty clear about what you think your child needs? What is it (1 year SA, 2 years?)?

2. Do they agree that he needs the SA but just say they can't make it happen, or do they deny he needs "more?"

3. What other decision makers are out there - the principal, a different coordinator?

Hopefully we can brainstorm some responses if you feel like you would like to pursue this.

Cat