smile Thanks! Yes it is great to get the words out in an understanding place. And I hope you are right that the Asynch improves over time somewhat.

Oh...? I'm not sure which thing you are referring to with 45 min program Grinity.

Handwriting without tears is such a GREAT program! Our Psychologist (who has been a wonderful resource to help me realize just what I am working with in my son and suggest some of our better options) said the handwriting was virtually non-existant and we possibly had a 2E kid on our hands. She recommended OT for him.

She got through to me...I immediately (as in calling the next day) enrolled him in an OT handwriting class and I ordered some HWT materials for home. The OT class showed us he loved mazes! (I had to find really complicated ones to keep him happy.) It didn't do much to improve the HW though.

However HWT was amazing! Night and Day difference that his Preschool teacher (at a church based regular preschool)was floored by. I went on the next month to take the full two day instructor training and I currently lack one course (in evaluation of handwriting issues)to being certified by HWT. I've started tutoring other children on the side.

My son can now write and draw recognizable things. It's still not his favorite thing to do but before he would simply refuse and say "I don't color" and writing was only scribbled out mess before. (Yes perfectionism was a MAJOR part of this for him too. He was able to tell me this when asked. He explained that he was trying to hide his writing/drawing with scribbles b/c it just didn't look good.)

I don't believe we would have figured out our son was so unusual had we not been getting information from my MIL and husband's aunt (both well educated teachers). At 5wks when they first met our son, they started telling us we were going to have trouble with school. (Of course my husband was doing Pre-Algebra in 1st grade so his mom had some experience with unusual children.)

So how did HW work out for you from that 3yr old moment where perfectionism held your son back? And how did you come to realize your son was so exceptional?

Does anyone know how many of the DYS kids are accepted at 5? It seems most start with this at an older age? Part of me says "don't rush things" and the other part says "the more we know now, the better we can support and prevent educational crises".

In regards to building a portfolio...Does anyone have suggestions on how do you make sure that videotaped items are understandable? Sometimes it's hard to catch what my son is saying on recordings.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 07/22/11 09:07 AM.