I'm just curious. My then second grader, was reading Harry Potter and other grade 6 and 7 books. She was in Montessori, where they didn't really do "testing"...Then she went to public school and took a DRA. (Developmental Reading Assessment) Does anyone have expereience with DRA's? Because she wasn't used to letting someone KNOW that she comprehended what she read, she only got a beginning 5th grade level on this. Has this happened to anyone else? How good is this test? At the beginning of 3rd they put her at 3.8...in the middle, 4.2 and at the end...5.0

I have a feeling they just test "whatever" level and if they pass, the leave it alone. They told me that this was her reading level and the went as far as they could go...but each time, they only gave her one book...one test....and she passed...and did well...any thoughts? BTW...she was reading at 3...she was reading short books at 4...she was reading Junie B., Catwings and other chapter books at 5...she read all the American Girl books at 6 and at 7, started the Harry Potter series. At 9, she can read just about anything (under like a 10th grade level) and has many interests.