Mine doesn't read. �He occasionally reads a random word, phrase, or sentence out of the blue or says an answer out loud to a question that he saw written. �He says he can't read. �I say "I've seen you". �I think he means he can't read well yet, and I've told him so. �I would call him an emerging reader. �He's been reading stray words for well over a year now, but not out of books. �He does a lot of Internet & tv. He's making that same kind of leap right now though but with writing. �I quit telling him how to write each letter and instead just told him which letter to write, one letter at a time. � I realized yesterday he was bored. I started telling him groups of letters and whole small words at a time, which he's apparently ready to start doing some of. �Also, �he's memorizing more spellings than I realized. �Plus we do that "reading eggs" program. �We take turns doing levels. �I usually talk him into trying to guess answers on my turn. �If he doesn't answer quickly I click the answer quickly. �I can see that he's thinking about the answer and sometimes thinks of it just as I already answered. �I got that idea reading posts. �Teachers don't teach kids things they can already answer. �Now I know "zone of proximal development" means what they can easily do with a little help now is what they'll shortly do well on their own. � �Once he knows how to do it he pushes my hand and says, "no. �Let me do this level too.". Apparently somebody needs to work on manners. �Anyway, the latest is the game where they jumble the words and tell you the sentence and ask you to put it in order. He's asked to do that one several times in a row. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar