Hello All,

I have been reading through this forum for a while, trying to figure out DS6. The problem is I have too many questions that I don't know where to start. crazy

DS6 just finished K. We had him tested and know he is HG but schooling and attention seem to be the big issues for us.

These are his WISC IV scores (I have all the subtest score as well, coding was low (11)due to fine motor issues):
VC: 150
PR: 151
WM: 123
PS: 121
FSIQ: 149
GAI: 160

WJ III
Broad Math: 159 grade eq: 4.7
Broad Reading: 132 grade eq: 4.6

Most recently he attended a logics summer program here in FL and the teacher said DS has developed a really bad habit where he pays attention enough to get the beginning and has become use to thinking that is all the information he needs to figure out whatever it is he is doing. Has anyone else experienced this with HG kids? The tester said that she saw possible sensory issues, sensory underresponsive and sensory seeking. This also maybe playing an issue.
He will read for 3 hours straight when interested in a book, and even though math is his real strength that is where he has the most difficultly staying focused. Worksheets are too boring and doing problem after problem tends to make him go physically all over the place.

Lastly what to so with schooling? We are in Palm Beach county, FL. He is in an "accelerated class" in our local school going into 1st. The tester recommended grade skipping, which will be difficult with a new incoming Principal, I imagine. While his K teacher tried the best she could to challenge him, even giving him the 2nd grade math book, he still thought K was way too easy. When we had our meeting at the end of the year with his teacher and the ESE/Gifted coordinator, I brought up pace of work and making sure it is adequate particularly in math. The gifted coordinator's response was DS has to learn he cannot always go at his own pace. My response was he goes to school to learn not to learn that he is not allowed to learned. She said they will run out of math curriculum to teach him in elementary school if the move him too quickly.

And the school we could transfer for full time gifted is adding a new grade each year, starting this coming school year they will add 1st grade. When I spoked to the ESE coordinator there and asked about my DS math situation, I was told that they would not have advanced him into 2nd grade math as his teacher in K had done in our school. In 1st the most he could do is 2nd grade math book along with enrichment work. I honestly do not see that working for DS.

The only way we could transfer him to the another F/T gifted program at a different school with 2nd grade would be to get the grade skip at our home school. DS6 will be 7 in Sep as well which makes him one of the oldest in his grade. Does anyone have experience with HG kids in F/T gifted programs in PB county, FL? Do they provide any curriculum differentiation for kids who learn at especially quick rate? I am a bit afraid of the F/T gifted program working 1 year ahead with more enrichment work. He does not need more work, he needs to move at a quicker pace and be challenged. I'm sure many of you have felt this way, how do you deal with this?

DS is quite social and I would like him to go to school for as long as possible, but I am worried that he is already developing poor study habits. He is a handfull, he does not conform or go along with rules that he does not see as important. And he has to touch EVERYTHING, which at times is not appropriate.

It's really wonderful that this forum exists to communicate with others in similar situations. For the most part, I don't personally know anyone in a similar situation and could really use some advise.

Thanks,

Whattodo?